Today’s Scripture : Matthew 5:21-26(NKJV)
21. ” You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’
22. “But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire.
23. “Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
24. “leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
25. “Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison.
26. “Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.
While teaching on reconciliation, Jesus stated that when someone brings his gift (offerings, tithe, etc.), to the altar and remembers that his brother has something against him, he should leave the gift there and go reconcile with his brother first. Thereafter, he should return and offer his gift.
Jesus also taught that to avoid judgment, one should reconcile with an accuser while still on the way to the law court. It is easier to quarrel than to reconcile because human ego plays as negative role. One starts to consider who the guilty party was. One starts to struggle within one who should first say sorry.
Jesus is the Prince of Peace. He desires His children to always make peace even if they are wronged. Joseph showed that to his brothers. Despite the great offence to him in their selling him to slavery, he still forgave and reconciled with them. Even when his brothers entertained fear that Joseph would retaliate after the death of their father, he re-assured them of his total forgiveness.
Who do you feel has offended you? Please take the advice of Jesus today – drop your gift at the altar and go and reconcile with that person. Then, you will be the child of your heavenly father (Matt. 6:45a).
Lord Jesus, may you give me the spirit of reconciling with those I have offended or who have offended me.