Topic: “ADULTERY IN THE HEART”
Today’s Scripture: Matthew 5:27-32(NKJV)
27. ” You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’
28. “But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
29. “If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast [it] from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
30. “And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast [it] from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
31. ” Furthermore it has been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’
32. “But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.
Jesus taught a deeper truth than what was known: He redefined fornication and adultery. Ordinarily, each of the two involves physical contact but Jesus made his listeners to understand that if you look at a woman lustfully, you have already committed adultery with her in your heart. All sins are first manufactured in the heart before execution.
So, thinking about adultery is equivalent to carrying it out. Do not allow adultery in the heart to graduate to a physical one. Sexual sin is done with the body (1 Cor. 6:18). When someone thinks deeply about any issue, he can carry it out if he has the opportunity. This includes adultery.
Many men and women must have committed adultery in their hearts. How shocked your partner could be if they have the opportunity to see what is in your heart. Some men abandon their wives they swore in the church to stick to and look for other men’s wives and widows. Same goes for some women.
These things start with unchecked lust in the heart. Proverbs 4:23 advises thus, “Keep your heart with all diligence. For out of it spring the issues of life. “Consciously watch the thoughts of your heart only a surrendered heart can be free from sin. Have you surrendered your heart to Jesus? If you have not, please do so now.
May you help me dear Lord to check my thoughts so they don’t turn into action.