The Topic of Daily Fountain Devotional for 9th April 2021 Is ”INSTRUMENTS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS”
Read: Romans 6:7-14
7. For he who has died has been freed from sin.
8. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
9. knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him.
10. For [the death] that He died, He died to sin once for all; but [the life] that He lives, He lives to God.
11. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
12. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
13. And do not present your members [as] instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members [as] instruments of righteousness to God.
14. For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
ANGLICAN COMMUNION DEVOTIONAL OUTLINE FOR 9TH APRIL 2021.
Our passage today brings out further implications of the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. Yesterday, we highlighted them aspect of being dead to sin (v.6). Today, we look at practical steps to take in this direction and the end result. Verses 11 to 13 of our text and Romans 12:1-2 show that this involves a renewing of our minds so that we consider ourselves dead to sin but alive to God.
Whenever any temptation comes, as must happen, we must deliberately refuse to yield any part of our being to that temptation, but rather offer it as a living sacrifice to God. We must refuse to conform to any sinful pattern of the world, even if it is accepted or legal in our community (Exodus 23:2).
Being an instrument of righteousness is a moment-by moment affair. Every victory must be won by grace which God readily supplies as we depend on Him (v.14; John 15:5). Be an instrument of righteousness.
PRAYER: Lord, make me an instrument of righteousness each day in Jesus’ Name. Amen.